Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Features Of A Wholehearted Christian (Part I)


“Judge me, O LORD; for I have walked in mine integrity: I have trusted also in the LORD; therefore I shall not slide. Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart.”
(Psalm 26:1-2)

In this Part I sermon, as a whole-hearted Christian, God tests us by examining, proving, trying and testing who we really are.

I – HE DESIRES TO BE TESTED BY GOD –“Judge me, O LORD; for I have walked in mine integrity: I have trusted also in the LORD; therefore I shall not slide. Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart.”(Psalm 26:1-2).

Note the words: “examine me,”“prove me,” and “try me.”

A. “Examine me.”
Illustration: “Mirror In Casket”
In New Jersey, there was a preacher who announced an unknown funeral. The congregation came, not knowing whose funeral it was. The preacher preached, and sometimes they do, the people began to get wrought up and there was a lot of weeping. The preacher continued: “It is sad that the man in this casket is so sinful and so corrupt that he is going to hell. This is the most wicked person.” The preacher closed his sermon, saying: “And now, it is time to view the corpse.” The preacher moved the flowers aside and had two of his deacons help him open up the casket. One by one, they filed by – and to their utter surprise, there was nobody in the casket. But the entire bottom of it was filled with a BIG MIRROR. Every one who looked in saw himself in that casket.

APPLICATION:
1. Human nature does not want to admit its wrong, but we would save ourselves a lot of trouble if we would let Him examine us. He wants to teach us what we really like.

2. POEM “I AM A CHRISTIAN”

When I say...”I am a Christian” I’m not shouting “
I’m clean living,”I’m whispering “I was lost” ,Now “I’m found and I’m forgiven”.

When I say... “I’m a Christian,” I don’t speak of this with pride
I’m confessing that I stumble, And need CHRIST to be my guide.

When I say... “I am a Christian,” I’m not trying to be strong.
I’m professing that I’m weak, And need HIS strength to carry on.

When I say... “I am a Christian,” I’m not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible, But, God believes I am worth it.

When I say... “I am a Christian,”I’m not holier that thou,
I’m just a simple sinner, Who received God’s good grace, somehow.

3. “Some Most Important Words”
THE MOST IMPORTANT WORD: “WE”
THE LEAST IMPORTANT WORD: “I”
THE SIX MOST IMPORTANT WORDS: “I ADMIT I MADE A MISTAKE”

4. We should realize that it takes more courage to admit a mistake than to resolutely hold to an error.
5. Don’t think you need extraordinary qualifications. Jesus accepts you as you are. You are not spiritually cleansed because we have a religious position. Spiritual cleansing comes only from God.

B. “PROVE ME” - Prove – Put to test, as for its QUALITY. A whole-hearted Christian is always tested by God.

“Behold, I have refined thee, but not with silver; I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction.”(Isaiah 48:10). I have chosen thee in the “furnace” of affliction.

“And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God. “ ( Zechariah 13:9).
“And he shall sit [as] a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness.”(Malachi 3:3).

“Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:” ( 1 Peter 4:12).
“But he knoweth the way that I take: [when] he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. “(Job 23:10).

LESSONS:
1. Without the heating and melting there could be no pure silver and pure gold. Green pottery, or freshly created pottery, must yet be fired, otherwise, it is useless. Our faith too must be tried as by fire. It’s the furnace of life that tempers us.
2. It’s the rocks and stones of the road which put toughness into our feet. It’s the action, the pain of muscles reaching to their full capacity. The strain of lungs gasping for air that makes us strong and creates stamina for the race ahead.
3. Suffering can bring a dynamic quality to life. Just as drought drives the roots of a tree deeper to find water, so suffering can drive us beyond.
4. Our suffering may not be a punishment, but a battle scar to demonstrate our loyalty.
5. Financial burdens, family conflict, church conflict, the loss of our jobs – how we act in such situations reflects what we believe.
6. “The righteous shall flourish like the palm tree: he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon.” (Psalm 92:12).
Note the words: “Cedar in Lebanon”
“The trees of the LORD are full [of sap]; the cedars of Lebanon, which he hath planted;” (Psalm 104:16).
Durable aromatic wood, attains great age and height. Highly valued for its appearance and its timber.

Poem: “CEDAR CHRISTIANS”
Jesus, help me to be for Thee,
Just like a big, strong Cedar tree;
When all the other trees are bare,
The cedar stands so green and fair.
The wind and storm, the ice and cold
Make it more beauty to unfold,
So I would stand in trial and test,
Just trusting you to do what’s best
Though others fail, Lord, keep Thou me
May I a “cedar Christian be!”

C. “TRY MY REINS AND MY HEART.” Our inner motives and affections too are tested by God.
LESSONS:
1. Try my “reins” (motives) - It is easy to do right for recognition and praise. To be sure our motives are not selfish, we should do our good deeds quietly or in secret, with no thought or reward. Worshipping, giving, praying, fasting should not be self centered, but God-centered; not done to make us look good, but to make God look good. Our ambition should be for Christ’s kingdom, not for our own advancement. To pray effectively, you need faith in God, not faith in the object of your request. Not faith in the gift but faith in the Giver. Check yourself to see if your prayers, your giving or services are focusing on your interests or on God’s. Others may be fooled, but God isn’t. Don’t be a Christian on the outside only. Bring your inner life under God’s control, and your outer life will naturally reflect.

2. Try my “heart” (my affections). “Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it [are] the issues of life.” ( Proverbs 4:23). “Guard your affections.” Our affections – our feelings of love and desires – dictate to a great extent how we live, because we always find time to do what we enjoy.

LESSONS:
l. Watch out for temptation – the more you see of it the better it looks.
2.WHOM IS HE KIDDING?
When a man says he can’t keep awake through a 30 minute sermon, and stays home with his 700 column newspaper or his computer, whom is he kidding?
When a man says Sunday is his only day of rest and gets up 4:30 a.m. to go fishing or spending the day with his friends, whom is he kidding?
When a man says church seats are too hard and uncomfortable, then goes some Saturday and Sunday to sit on a bleacher for hours in a cockpit, whom is he kidding?
When a man says he doesn’t have time for Christ and His church, then spends evenings singing in karaoke bars, watching television, going to clubs, playing cards, and having evenings out, whom is he kidding?........NOT GOD!
3.Court cases sometimes are labelled: “Juan dela Cruz versus people of the Philippines.” But at the last judgement, every case will be labelled: “I versus GOD!”
4.On judgement day, each of us will stand ALONE, accountable for all our deeds. At that time no amount of riches will buy reconciliation with God. Only our LOVE and OBEDIENCE for God will count.
5. Jesus is more concerned about our WALK than our TALK.
6. What we do cannot be separated from what we believe.

(From Rev. Teofilito A. Rufon’s Sunday Worship Messages)

No comments:

Post a Comment