Monday, September 30, 2013

Sola Fide, Sola Scriptura, Solus Christus, and Sola Gratias (Four Essential Truths of Christian Faith)

“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.” (2  Timothy 3:16).

Here are  four truths that are essential to Christian Faith:

I – Bible Alone  (Sola Scriptura) -  “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.” (2  Timothy 3:16).
 The Bible is plain.  “From a child thou hast known the holy scriptures.”  (2 Timothy 3:15).
The Bible is powerful. “For the word of God is quick and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of thoughts and intents of the heart.’ (Hebrews 4:12). 
The Bible should be preached. “Preach the Word; be instant in season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long-suffering and doctrine.” (2 Timothy 4:2).

II – Christ Alone (Sola Christus) – “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the  Father, but by me.” (John 14:6).   Salvation is simple:  The source, scope, simplicity and security is only Jesus.  Jesus alone.“Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth:  for I am God, and there is none else.”  (Isaiah 45:22).

III – Grace Alone (Sola Gratias) -  “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God.  Not of works  lest any man should boast.” (Ephesians 2:8-9).  “But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”  (Romans 5:8).  GRACE means G- God , R-reaching, A-accepting,  C-caring and E-encouraging.  God is gracious and merciful because he commendeth his love toward us. 

IV -  Faith Alone (Sola Fide) – “Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our lord Jesus Christ.” (Romans 5:1).  “As it is written the just shall live by faith.”  (Romans 5:17). Genuine faith is from start to finish. “Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith.” (Hebrews 12:1). A faith that should be lived forever. “I am crucified with Christ:nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.” (Galatians 2:20).


(From the Sunday Worship Messages of Rev. Teofilito A. Rufon)

No comments:

Post a Comment